|Title:||Tire Design Engineer|
|Location :||Tonawanda, NY - Operations|
Position Summary: Participate in new product design activities from initial concept through prototype manufacturing and release for mass production.
Reports to: Lead Design Engineer
- Participate in new product design activities from initial concept through prototype manufacturing, and release for mass production.
- Design new Dunlop, Falken and Sumitomo brand tires in support of Sumitomo Rubber USA’s Business Plan.
- Selectively deploy new product designs and factory transfers jointly developed with Sumitomo Rubber Industries Group in Kobe as necessary in support of SRUSA and global business plans.
- Determine specific tire design parameters based on required tire performance using general knowledge of tire force properties, tire and vehicle dynamics, and tire uniformity and handling characteristics.
- Provide input relating to such design features as tread pattern, mold contour and sizing, venting, rubber to void ratios, pattern noise, sidewall treatments and stampings.
- Relate desired tire characteristics to construction configurations and materials to optimize performance and quality.
- Develop product enhancements to raise the performance and quality level of existing items and/or reduce cost.
- Participate in outdoor vehicle tire testing and/or occasional race activity as required.
- Prepare tire development specifications to explore innovative product concepts.
- Communicate with materials development personnel to develop a general knowledge of tire materials properties and their influence on tire performance.
- Communicate with manufacturing personnel to maintain a general knowledge of manufacturing process capabilities and limitations.
- Be cognizant of the importance of the business’s relationships with Sumitomo Rubber USA’s Original Equipment partners, and constantly strive to exceed their expectations.
- Develop knowledge of competitive products and industry innovations.
- Be an active cross-functional team player with adjacent functions including manufacturing and sales and marketing.
- Be committed and promote adherence to all internal and external compliance standards, including TS16949, ISO9001 and ISO14001.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS in related field (preferably engineering)
- Three (3) years product design experience preferred
- Proven team-player
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills
- Strong PC skills, including Microsoft Office suite and project software applications
- AutoCad, Catia or related 3D CAD experience required
Sumitomo Rubber, USA offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at SumitomoRubberUSA.com
EOE M/F/Disabled/Veterans, Sumitomo Rubber, USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.