|Title:||Motorcycle Test Engineer|
|Location :||Huntsville, AL|
Motorcycle Test Engineer
Huntsville Proving Grounds (HPG)
Position Summary: Responsible for the safe testing of tires conducted at Huntsville Proving Grounds and remote locations. Works as an active member of the technical team developing and carrying out tests to evaluate tire performance which meet market and customer needs. Operates to a priority sheet issued by technical development staff and HPG leadership. Do whatever is necessary to support and participate in all test related activity - MC/PCR/LTR. Perform any and all duties necessary to satisfy the functional requirements of HPG.
- Under the direction of the Mgr. Proving Grounds provides a comprehensive testing service through tire testing: dry handing, wet handling, stability, off road, motocross, supercross, ride and comfort, vibration, noise, durability.
- Provides guidance and direction for activities of HPG associate staff and test engineers, as well as participation in all testing functions.
- Develops new tests in all disciplines to:
a) Improve current methods to better define test results.
b) Understand and study new aspects of tire performance.
- Active involvement in the preparation, organization and presentation of IATF audit systems. Work to specific safety and quality guidelines.
- Liaison with other SRI test groups in order to stay aware of new developments in testing methods and techniques and apply these to customer requirements as appropriate.
- Assist the maintenance of HPG facility, equipment, and vehicles - on road and off road.
- Responsible for building security and facility upkeep.
- Issues comprehensive reports on the results of testing performed in a timely manner.
- If necessary work with OEM's through joint testing on prototype tires and vehicles, providing feedback and information to the product development groups.
- Organizes demonstrations of testing techniques and product performance for customers, dealers and OEM's, together with facility tours.
- Initiates and performs tests to research the various tire parameters that influence ride properties with the emphasis on developing an understanding of the interaction of these properties on vehicle refinement. From this activity develops evaluation methods to aid in future tire development.
- Provides training to HPG facility users in appropriate operation of track equipment and safety guidelines.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, technical or engineering degree preferred.
- Special trades training in the area of motorcycle or automotive repair is a plus.
- 5 years professional experience with organized and sanctioned motorcycle racing or 5 years relevant work experience in the field of motorcycle testing, preferably in a test track work environment.
- Excellent knowledge and use of instrumentation - data acquisition.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good PC proficiency utilizing Microsoft Excel & Word software applications.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to perform a variety of multilevel tasks.
- Valid driver's license.
- Up to 30% of required overnight travel.
Sumitomo Rubber USA LLC offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at SumitomoRubberUSA.com
EOE M/F/Disabled/Veterans, Sumitomo Rubber, USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.