|Title:||Materials and Compounds Engineer|
|Location :||Tonawanda, NY|
Materials and Compounds Engineer
Position Summary: Responsible for carrying out specified technical assignments of a research and development nature for passenger car, truck, bus and motorcycle tires (including race). The successful candidate shall seek solutions to technical problems, conduct work on assigned tasks, and exhibit a professional level of knowledge in these disciplines, with the ability to apply such knowledge. Be responsible for supporting the research and development of rubber compounds and materials that will further drive SRUSA's leadership position in passenger car, truck, bus and motorcycle tire products.
Reports to: Lead Scientist
- Participate in new product design activities from initial concept through prototype manufacturing, through release for mass production.
- Prepare new materials and compounds specifications to explore innovative concepts.
- Work closely with lead scientist to design new rubber and material formulations in support of SRUSA's business plans, including new products, cost optimizations and continuous improvement projects.
- Spend time in SRUSA's laboratories to learn the rubber mixing process, sample preparation and various QA testing.
- Become familiar with all materials used in the rubber and tire industry.
- Collect, analyze, and summarize data.
- Utilize technical literature, data, and other professional journals to enhance knowledge of new technical activity related to materials and rubber compounding. Participate in vendor visits to learn about their product line up and any new developments.
- Write clear and concise reports as required. Present research results within the division.
- Be an active cross-functional team player with adjacent functional groups such as Works Technical, Sales, Marketing, Purchasing, etc.
- Is committed to and promotes adherence to all applicable internal and external Quality Systems, including ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and IATF 16949.
- Communicates with manufacturing personnel to maintain a general knowledge of manufacturing process capabilities and limitations, including being an active team player with plant in helping to resolve day-to-day processing issues.
- Demonstrate strong communication with SRI (Japan) materials and compounds development group to drive excellence in global development and collaboration.
- Increase knowledge base by completing internal or external courses in relevant rubber and/or material technologies.
- Be cognizant of the importance of the business's relationships with Sumitomo Rubber USA's Original Equipment partners, and constantly strive to exceed their expectations.
- Be willing to travel, including participation in outdoor vehicle tire testing as the business requires.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Material Science or Chemistry.
- Experience in rubber compounds and materials desired, but not essential.
- Automotive background desirable but not essential.
- Effective written & verbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong functional and cross-functional team-player.
- Effective organization and project management skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Strong PC skills including the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Sumitomo Rubber USA LLC offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at SumitomoRubberUSA.com
EOE M/F/Disabled/Veterans, Sumitomo Rubber, USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.