|Title:||Machinist (Toolmaker) $30.98|
|Location :||Tonawanda, NY|
Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd., whose Global Headquarters is located in Kobe, Japan, has a rich and successful history dating back to 1909. This trend is set to continue with the Company’s formal entrance into North America through the former Goodyear Dunlop Tires North America, Ltd. facility, and through planned investments into the Company’s infrastructure, manufacturing processes, and work force.
Position Summary: Machinist carries through, to completion, the construction and repair of all metal parts, tools and machines.
- Uses various machine and hand tools to produce replacement and new parts for mechanical equipment operated in the plant.
- Reads and interprets blueprints and written specifications for machining rough castings to finished parts.
- Skillfully uses all machinist’s hand tools including scrapers, chisels, files and measuring instruments.
- Operates lathe to bore, turn threads, cut angles, and tapers to ultra-close tolerances. Shapes external and internal surfaces of metal objects on lathe which rotations of work and feeding of tools may be accomplished mechanically or manually.
- Operates milling machine which cuts metal with multi-toothed rotary cutter to mill out dies, slots in molds, keyways, cams, gears, and the like.
- Operates vertical boring mill to repair mold registers and rings, recuts or alters molds to modified pot heater molds bag-o-matic molds and the like.
- Operates vertical and horizontal shaper to shape and slot mill guides, cut keyways in gears and shafts. Cuts other odd shapes and the like.
- Operates Brown & Sharp Automatic Grinder and Abrasive Magnetic Grinder to sharpen knives by grinding and horning: grinds and hardens arbors, shafts, dowels, bushings and the like; grinds surfaces (flat, angles, slots), and the like.
- Grinds own lathe, shaper, boring mill tools, twist drills, hand chisels and scraper.
- Operates template filing machine to file templates, dies and tools. Operates drill press and power hack saw.
- Assembles new mechanical equipment and machine parts from drawings to fit bushing, shafts etc.
- Tears down and reassembles mechanical equipment, replaces parts, or makes parts if needed, aligns or trues up parts.
- Possesses knowledge of shop mathematics, uses charts and tables, and efficient planning of shop work, dimensions and uses of standard bolts, screws, threads and tapers.
- Must be familiar with working properties of such metals as aluminum, brass, cast and wrought iron, and various steels. Should be capable of shaping metal parts to precise dimensions within the close tolerances prescribed. May operate electric 10-ton crane when necessary.
- Works to the directive of supervision and performs other related duties as required.
- Performs all duties in a neat and orderly manner to maintain safe and good housekeeping conditions in the department.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; additional education a plus
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a related role within a manufacturing environment
- Previous automotive industry experience a plus
- Meticulous, organized, and detail-oriented
- Strong interpersonal communication skills for interaction and collaboration with internal personnel
- Ability to multitask and juggle multiple responsibilities/projects/deadlines simultaneously
EOE M/F/Disabled/Veterans, Sumitomo Rubber, USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.