|Title:||Tire Development Engineer|
|Location :||Tonawanda, NY|
Reports to: Plant Development Manager
Position Summary: Participate in and manage new product design activities from initial concept through prototype manufacturing and release for mass production.
- Determine specific tire design parameters based on required tire performance using general knowledge of tire force properties, tire and vehicle dynamics, and tire uniformity and handling characteristics.
- Relates desired tire characteristics to construction configurations and materials to optimize performance and quality.
- Provides input to mold designer relating to design features such as tread pattern, mold contour and sizing, venting, rubber to void ratios, pattern noise, sidewall treatments and stampings.
- Develops product enhancements to raise the performance and quality level of existing items and/or reduce costs.
- Works closely with production, engineering, and materials for the establishment and maintenance of a cohesive, efficient process.
- Develop and execute activities involving continuous improvement tools, analysis of product irregularities, recommending solutions and facilitating cost down initiatives related to improving product costs. These duties would include training and instruction of appropriate team members and day-to-day floor support.
- Assist in identification of unacceptable performance through analysis and acquired technical knowledge of the product and process including waste and cost reduction.
- Assist in and learn the process for preparing cost estimates, financially justifying projects, preparing budgets, and reviewing designing and supervising installations and commissioning.
- Gain understanding and assist to ensure safety, environmental and other regulatory compliance by working with appropriate associates on EHS issues, following the implementation of MSR's, and continually improving the communication across all relevant departments.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS in related field (preferably Engineering), MS preferred.
- Minimum 0-5 years’ related experience, including working with multidisciplinary Engineering and Manufacturing associates.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computerized layout, spreadsheet and database management.
- Requires strong communication, analytical and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to understand plant layouts, capital estimating, associate-man computations, and tire manufacturing equipment processes.
- Equipment design experience and project engineering or project management experience is preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal & written interpersonal communication skills.
- Solid PC skills utilizing Microsoft excel.
Sumitomo Rubber, USA offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at https://sumitomorubberusa.com/
EOE M/F/Disabled/Veterans, Sumitomo Rubber, USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.