|Title:||Tire Test Lab Technician|
|Location :||Tonawanda, NY|
Position Summary: Performs a variety of indoor tire tests to determine compliance with federal and international regulations and company standards and procedures. Records test information and enters data into the Product Information database. Conducts other tire audits and analyses as needed.
Reports to: Product Evaluation Manager
- Operates various test equipment (e.g., road wheel and compression test systems) in accordance with established procedures.
- Performs tests upon tires (passenger, truck and motorcycle) for the purpose of assessing their reactions to high speed, stress, and other conditions.
- Performs tests upon stationary tires to measure their strength and physical characteristics.
- Ensures that test data and tire identification is detailed and logged properly on appropriate forms. Enters all test data into the Product Information Network (PIN) System.
- Reports to management any non-conforming test results that do not meet FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), GDTNA or international test criterion.
- Identifies and procures weekly DOT (Department of Transportation) audit test tires according to set procedure. Maintains weekly DOT audit files.
- Sections tires and prepares component samples for analysis.
- May be required to learn the operation of the Laser Profile Machine, Shimadzu Compression Machine, Flat Trac and Dynamic Growth measuring device.
- Follows safety procedures and keeps assigned work areas clean and orderly.
- Continually strives to maintain full test machine utilization following test priorities set forth by management. Responsible for training co-workers and new associates in the operation of test equipment as required.
- Works to directive of supervisor and performs other duties as required.
- Is committed to promoting the values of honesty, integrity and fairness in the conduct of our business and sustaining a work environment that fosters mutual respect, openness and individual integrity.
- Associate's Degree from a technical college or equivalent technical training preferred; relevant work history in lieu of degree or training.
- 1 - 2 years of work experience in a testing lab performing tests for measuring product strength and conformance to compliance standards preferred
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude (ability to repair equipment, understand how a variety of test equipment operates, etc.)
- Demonstrated mathematical aptitude including knowledge of and the ability to apply the principles of trigonometry, algebra and geometry
- Demonstrated computer skills to include the ability to enter and retrieve data and understand the basic operations of computerized equipment
EOE M/F/Disabled/Veterans, Sumitomo Rubber, USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.