|Title:||Design Engineer - Motorcycle Race|
|Location :||Tonawanda, NY - Operations|
The design Engineer-Motorcycle Race shall drive new and existing race tire designs from initial concept through prototype manufacturing, to design release.
The successful candidate shall possess strong product intuition and high dexterity by immediately and effectively reacting to rapidly changing racetracks and tire performance, whilst always prioritizing rider safety and brand image.
Work between 10 and 15 weekends away from home.
- Be responsible for driving the design, creation and release of highly engineered motorcycle race tires.
- Attend all USA national motorcycle races as required. Attend other races and tests identified by the business as needing his/her attendance.
- Demonstrate strong, articulate communications with race customers, including riders, team engineers and owners, and organizing/sanctioning body members.
- Determine specific tire design parameters based upon required tire performance, using knowledge of tire design and properties, tire and vehicle dynamics, and vehicle handling characteristics.
- Using CAD systems provide input to Mold Designers relating to such design features as tread pattern, mold contour and sizing, rubber to void ratios, sidewall treatments and stampings, slug requirements.
- Strong collaboration/teamwork with materials and compounds development personnel to develop a general knowledge of tire materials and compounds properties, and their influences on tire performance.
- Prepare tire design specifications to explore innovative product concepts.
- Prepare all new product introduction documentation as necessary and strategize release with manufacturing.
- Analyze internal test data and, as necessary, develop new test procedures and techniques.
- Communicate with manufacturing personnel to maintain a general knowledge of manufacturing processes, capabilities, and limitations.
- Working with SRNA, the Motorsports Logistics Coordinator and plant personnel, assist in successfully strategizing and planning the production of race tires to support business needs, including minimizing risk of obsolescence.
- Issue detailed race and test reports.
- Keep abreast of competitors race products and industry innovations.
- Liaison with SRI’s race group (Kobe) to maximize knowledge sharing, best practices and team play.
- Establish a good working knowledge of all applicable regulations and standards as they pertain to motorcycle race tires.
- Demonstrate compliance to all applicable internal and external work systems and processes.
- Act as a resource to functional group.
- BS Mechanical Engineering or a related technical field.
REQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 years’ work experience in product design; tire design experience strongly preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent organization and project management skills.
- Effective written & verbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Strong PC skills including the use of Microsoft Office software applications.
- CAD experience required.
Sumitomo Rubber, USA offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at https://sumitomorubberusa.com/
EOE M/F/Disabled/Veterans, Sumitomo Rubber, USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.